Tuesday was Nana's last day with us and it was no less eventful than the others. We got an early start and headed out to Rice's Market. It's an outdoor market open Tuesdays & Saturdays that attracts local vendors & bargain hunters. It was drizzling a bit so some of vendors stayed away, but there was still plenty of things to see and Nana and I both found some treasures!
Then we were off to Valley Forge! Valley Forge is always a fun & humbling place to visit. It certainly puts one's own trials & challenges in perspective. Valley Forge served as a winter encampment for Washington's army soon after losing Philadelphia to the British. The winter months were particularly harsh with many soldiers going without shoes on their feet. Disease was rampant and supplies were slow to arrive. However through it all, they only grew in their committment & determination to fight and by June of 1778 they took to the battlefield where they would soon witness the tide shift their favor until victory was secured.




The national park is thousands of acres of open land so you have to drive to be able to see all the monuments & landmarks in one day. The visitor center had a 20 minute video that we wacthed before driving around which gave us a better idea of what we'd be seeing. A funny thing happened while we were in the theatre though. A family walked in that I had noticed in the visitor's center earlier and suspected were LDS, when their little boy seeing the pews and sensing the the quiet in the room blurted out, "Is this church?" At that point I was positive they were LDS and sure enough I was right! By the time we saw everything, it was raining pretty hard. We stopped for lunch at Bear Rock Cafe, which is similar to Panera Bread, but way better I think. When we got home, I arranged for our neighbor to watch the kids so Jordan & Nana could go out to Dinner and so I could go to book Club. The only downside to the evening was that I missed the American Idol finale :(
Then we were off to Valley Forge! Valley Forge is always a fun & humbling place to visit. It certainly puts one's own trials & challenges in perspective. Valley Forge served as a winter encampment for Washington's army soon after losing Philadelphia to the British. The winter months were particularly harsh with many soldiers going without shoes on their feet. Disease was rampant and supplies were slow to arrive. However through it all, they only grew in their committment & determination to fight and by June of 1778 they took to the battlefield where they would soon witness the tide shift their favor until victory was secured.



The national park is thousands of acres of open land so you have to drive to be able to see all the monuments & landmarks in one day. The visitor center had a 20 minute video that we wacthed before driving around which gave us a better idea of what we'd be seeing. A funny thing happened while we were in the theatre though. A family walked in that I had noticed in the visitor's center earlier and suspected were LDS, when their little boy seeing the pews and sensing the the quiet in the room blurted out, "Is this church?" At that point I was positive they were LDS and sure enough I was right! By the time we saw everything, it was raining pretty hard. We stopped for lunch at Bear Rock Cafe, which is similar to Panera Bread, but way better I think. When we got home, I arranged for our neighbor to watch the kids so Jordan & Nana could go out to Dinner and so I could go to book Club. The only downside to the evening was that I missed the American Idol finale :( We were sad to see Nana go but were glad to have shared so much with her while she was here. She spoiled the boys with her attention & gifts and made a great travel guide with her vast knowledge of well... just about everything! Thanks for visiting Nana; come anytime. That goes for the rest of you...yes I'm talking to you. We're not going to live here forever you know. Take advantage of the free room & board while you can!
No comments:
Post a Comment