Friday, July 11, 2008

Time to Read


I've hesitated with formal reading lessons for Sam because I knew that if he wasn't truly ready, it could be a disaster for both of us. I think one of the reasons potty training was fairly drama free was because I didn't push it until it was clear he was capable of doing it. Although I wish it had happened sooner, by waiting until he was 3, he happily welcomed the new skill. I'm learning that working with your child's pace & individuality yields way better results than setting expectations based on what is often the exception and not the rule anyway.

Well, when it comes to reading, there is no doubt that he is ready (for the long journey of course). He is very enthusiastic about reading and especially how to spell. He has always had an affection for letters, words & books. He loves his leapfrog videos and his favorite pastime is making his own books where he illustrates the pages and writes the words as best he can. I've had the above book for about a year now, waiting for the perfect opportunity to start. It's received rave reviews from parents & teachers. So we're going to take the challenge that in 100 lessons, Sam will be reading. We probably won't do it everyday and will repeat some several times, but my goal is to have him reading by the time he enters Kindergarten in 2009. So we'll see how it goes...

No comments: