So Saturday, we were out as a family having lunch. Benjamin needed a diaper change and the place we were at didn't have a changing table. I wasn't thrilled about having to change him outside in the 90+ heat & humidity but you do what you gotta do right? We were already parked in a pretty secluded spot on the side of the building facing a vacant store. I opened the back hatch and lied Benjamin down. As I was getting situated I noticed a couple women rounding the corner. I hadn't undressed Benjamin or anything, so I just starting talking to him to pass the time until they were out of view.
I wasn't facing them, but I started to feel that they were lingering behind me which was bizarre since it was obvious I needed some privacy. I could have gone ahead with it since they were taking their sweet time, but I wanted to do the polite thing so I waited. Suddenly one of the women says, intending for me to hear, "Can you believe some people; changing their kids' diaper in public? It's so inconsiderate and disgusting if you ask me!" Her friend seconds her thoughts and they walk off in a huff. At first I was mortified, but it didn't take long before it turned to anger when I actually considered what had just happened. Here I was doing everything I could to be discrete and considerate given the tough situation I was in, and not only did I not get understanding, I get a snarky passive aggressive accusation by some women who clearly have no children!
Now, I'm willing to accept that there people on this planet that genuinely feel that changing a wet (wet!) diaper in the back of your car is the most unforgiveable offense one could commit, but even conceeding that, how does that warrant a verbal attack? I encounter appalling and offensive behavior all the time, causing some unkind thoughts of my own I'll admit, but I would never say something rude just for the heck of it!Unless a response proves absolutely neccessary to secure my personal happiness (which is almost never) I just don't see the point in escalating a situation (Mom, the security guard restraining me at the Airport was one of those rare occasions in which my happiness was indeed in jeopardy but I digress...) . The worst part is that I dwelled on it all afternoon ruining the rest of my day. I need Jordan's thick skin sometimes because people can just be so mean! Geesh!
3 comments:
that is awful for someone to say that. what is disgusting is changing our kids on them DIRTY changing tables in public places-- ha! i've changed zoe in the back of my car a million times. don't let something like that get to you. as mothers we have to do what we have to do. would they have rather you lay him on the dirty bathroom floor? i think some people worry about the wrong things in life. ya know?
-lori
Wow, that is ridiculous. I don't think there is anything wrong with what you did. If I were you I would have given those ladies my 2 cents! Oh, I hate people like that! All I can say is don't stress it they are the ones in the wrong.
Michelle
It would have eaten at me too. I would have thought of all kinds of stuff to say back to them, after they had left of course.
You did nothing wrong. I think the picture you put up is appropriate. Mean girls indeed.
Post a Comment