Friday, May 2, 2008

What's with me & cooking?

So here's the deal: every few months or so I get the cooking/baking bug. It never sticks around; just comes and goes. It is usually triggered by a cooking show I watch on TV where I think "I can do that" or maybe I see a fancy gadget at the store claiming their device makes it impossible to mess thigs up (yee-ah right!).
Anyway, currently I'm all pumped up ready for another cooking expedition. I've got a bunch of recipes lined up and I've even spoiled myself with some new fancy gadgets & a couple new pans. This on again off again relationship with cooking has inadvertently made me a slightly better cook, but somehow I manage, despite careful planning & positive thinking to always mess something up! I could list the many mini diasters that have occured, but since it involves Jordan's food & he reads this blog (at least I think he does) I'll spare the details.
So given my history, I was pretty thrilled tonight while preparing dinner that everything was going so smoothly. We were having pork chops (a pretty simple recipe) and I was feeling pretty proud of myself. After browning the chops, I put them in the oven for an hour to bake. While it cooked, I went outside to watch the boys playing in the sandbox and I couldn't help smile thinking how together I was. Dinner in the oven, kids having a great time, fabulous fresh baked cookies on the counter....Take that Martha Stewart!
So as I'm patting myself on the back, I go back to the kitchen for the final step (adding the sauce) when it dawns on me despite what I thought was 45 minutes of baking, there was no aroma in the air. Despite that obvious clue, it wasn't until I actaully opened the oven that I finally realized (duh!) the oven wasn't even on! So seriously, "What is it with me & Cooking?" It's not rocket science! But it seems like Murphy's law is in full swing when I'm in the kitchen.
The one brightside to my brain lapse tonight was that Jordan who usually has to reheat our meal when he gets home, got to sit with us and eat it fresh out of the oven, even if it did sit there for 2 hours :) So enjoy my upcoming food related posts while I am still excited about it. But don't get too used to it becasue I will be SO OVER IT in about 2 weeks.

No comments: