After I put the kids to bed last night, I had my friend Allyson come over to watch "Charly" with me. This is going to be hard for fellow LDS'ers to believe, but I've actually never read the book. I know I know; how have I managed that growing up in the church? Well if you think that's strange, I also haven't seen "Oh Brother Where art thou", I haven't read the "Work & the Glory" series nor do I care for the Princess Bride. Yikes! Anyway, I got a call from Deseret Book with a promotion to try out some of their videos and I agreed. Jordan says that I shouldn't be allowed to answer the phone when telemarketers call because I'm such a sucker, which is true, but as a former cold caller myself, I find it hard to say no. So here we are the proud owners of 4 LDS films. OK. So what did I think of it? First half, total cheese fest, although as a Mormon, I could appreciate the humor of our sometimes quirky culture. However, the 2nd half had me balling! I literally couldn't stop for half an hour. Allyson held it together OK and she even asked if I was sure I wasn't pregnant since I was so emotional, but seriously I haven't been that touched in awhile.
Friday, May 9, 2008
Movie Review
After I put the kids to bed last night, I had my friend Allyson come over to watch "Charly" with me. This is going to be hard for fellow LDS'ers to believe, but I've actually never read the book. I know I know; how have I managed that growing up in the church? Well if you think that's strange, I also haven't seen "Oh Brother Where art thou", I haven't read the "Work & the Glory" series nor do I care for the Princess Bride. Yikes! Anyway, I got a call from Deseret Book with a promotion to try out some of their videos and I agreed. Jordan says that I shouldn't be allowed to answer the phone when telemarketers call because I'm such a sucker, which is true, but as a former cold caller myself, I find it hard to say no. So here we are the proud owners of 4 LDS films. OK. So what did I think of it? First half, total cheese fest, although as a Mormon, I could appreciate the humor of our sometimes quirky culture. However, the 2nd half had me balling! I literally couldn't stop for half an hour. Allyson held it together OK and she even asked if I was sure I wasn't pregnant since I was so emotional, but seriously I haven't been that touched in awhile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I did read "Charly" when I was younger. I remember liking it but I don't remember the story at all. But like you I have not read any of "The Work and the Glory" or seen "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" and I didn't care for "Princess Bride" much either. Oh I wish we lived closer so we could watch movies together!
Michelle
OH MY GOODNESS AMANDA!!!! I have read and seen all of the above and LOVE them ALL! Having said that, I also BALLED uncontrollably at that movie! Funny thing is that I watched it with Danny and he ALSO cried A LOT. I so wish we had watched it together! That would have been a sight! K I totally miss you and wish we lived closer.....really I wish I lived in PA too, since it is my true home!
Post a Comment